Monday, April 03, 2006

WIPs, fiber and snakes

Eric and I took a trip out to Fibrefest International in Abbotsford on Saturday. Given how often I've gone to car shows with him, he was incredibly impatient. And I think upset that he was one of a very few men there. On the upside, he's promised not to drag me to car shows this season. Except maybe the hot rod meetup in North Van, where I can go hang out in Michaels while he ogles cars.

I did some light purchasing at Fibrefest. I got myself some silk hankies, inspired by Knitty and Zib. I also scored some pretty dyed Corriedale and some wool for my SP, Trillian.

Fiberfest haul



After the little time we spent at Fibrefest, we proceeded over to Eric's friend Brad's house. Brad has snakes. Lots of them. In fact, he supplies snakes, spiders and other creepy crawlies for the movies. He's also into breeding them for different traits. We talked about the genetics behind the different varities of snakes that he had. I learned a lot in that trip. Like did you know, pound for pound, centipedes are the most vicious predators in the world? Neither did I. And did you know that tarantulas can lose a leg no problem? During the next molt, they just come out of their exoskeleton with all eight legs! And I got to hold snakes! For the first time! If you need a snake, let me know. We'll see if we can hook you up. ;) (Excuse the hair, I need a haircut.)

Snakey picture



In knitting news, I'm progressing on my Jaywalkers. In Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock, the Irving Park colourway. I started the larger size this time after reading about people having trouble putting them on. So now I can get them over my foot but I am concerned about the foot. I have a feeling they will be too large. I might decrease down to the smaller size when I get to the foot. Has anyone tried that yet?

LL's Jaywalkers

2 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Oh, my Thing 2 would be so jealous! She is just snake-obsessed.

I think it's a good plan about the Jaywalkers, and it sounds like you and the car guy have come to a more reasonable understanding about your lesiure-time activities!

Knittypants said...

Oh, I like your goodies! I almost talked my husband into going to Fibrefest, but couldn't do it. So I guess that saves me some money, but I will have to make sure I get to the next one.

Love the color for your Jaywalkers, so pretty.