Thursday, April 20, 2006

Crisis averted. A cool mind saves the day.

Guess what's finished...


Leaf Lace Pullover



Pattern: Leaf Lace Sweater by Teva Durham, Interweave Knits Summer 2005.
Yarn: A little under 6 hanks Gjestal Naturgarn No. 1. It's blue... Uhhh... Fv: 191, Parti: 286?
Needles: Sz 11 Denise Interchangables

Frankly, I'm surprised that this actually looks okay on me. As mentioned, a bulky knit may not have been the best of ideas for my body type. The speed at which this knit up through was lovely (better than the *&^# Jaywalkers) and it is a wonderful pattern. I even did the unthinkable here! I knit and washed the gauge swatch. And how happy am I that I did that? I discovered that this yarn blooms when washed.

The shoulder looks a bit wonky there, but (say it with me) knitting is forgiving! I looks fine when worn. See?


Leaf Lace Pullover worn


I did make a few modifications though. My row gauge was off so I had to make all the pieces longer. I also altered the lace pattern on the sleeve with the yo, dec pattern on it. I didn't like the symmetry of it. I felt uncomfortable with the symmetry of the sleeve pattern when everything else was asymmetrical. So I did the yo, k2tog but skipped the ssk, yo.



The best thing about this is that this was all stash yarn. Yay for knitting up the stash!


Another FO also slid in under the flash and fanfare of the
first sweater I will not frog. Meet....

Irving Park Jaywalkers!


Jaywalkers



Pattern:
Jaywalkers by Grumperina.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock in the Irving Park colourway, 2 sks with leftovers.
Needles: 1.75 mm Inox DPNs.

They're super cute socks and I love that they stay up so well, but dear lord that second sock took the most determination that a second sock has ever taken for me. I think almost everything that can be said about the Jaywalker pattern has been said.


I did have to make a modification to the pattern though. I ended up knitting the larger size for the leg, decreasing just before the heel and doing the smaller size for the foot. There was no way that the small size was going over my heel and no way it was going over my leg (I have fat legs). But this worked out perfectly.

And I love love love the yarn. It worked up beautifully.



I've started new socks (apparently the difficulty finishing the Jaywalkers didn't teach me anything). They're a pattern that I have abandoned before (apparently the abandonment didn't impact me hard enough either). I'm a sucker for punishment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely sweater. I like the socks, too. :)

Boogs said...

Excellent job on both socks and sweater!!

From what I can see, you look good in both! *L*

knottygnome said...

both projects are beautiful. i especially love your sweater. i was thinking about making it... eventually.

Emma said...

They both look great. I'm going to start a pair of jaywalkers, so your post was a little intimidating!

Karen said...

Both look great! Which socks did you abandon and pick up again?

Knittypants said...

I love your sweater and it looks great on you. Cute socks, too.

Trillian42 said...

Look at how cute you are in your lovely sweater! Yay!!!

And your Jaywalkers are great! I know what you mean about the pattern, though. Mine are currently set aside after the "Gah! They don't fit over my heel!" moment. I lost my momentum on them. =)

And fishie pics will appear when Kris takes some more.

Stefaneener said...

Lovely sweater -- what's with the frogging? I hope you get enough cool weather to wear it just enough that you're not sad to put it away when it warms up.

The lace change is probably a good idea, too.

And bully for you for the Jaywalkers. I feel like a sock dropout! Wear yours with pride.