Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Eric's socks, some handspun and some fun

I needed to make something for Eric. He wanted a sweater... until I told him about the sweater curse. Then he didn't want that anymore. But socks would be okay. So socks it was.



Eric's socks


Pattern: Stockinette toe-ups. I winged it.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock in Pinstripe, 2 hanks
Needles: 1.75 mm Inox DPNs

This paragraph is more for my own purposes (because I really have no note-taking system) than for anything else so this paragraph can be skipped. I used the magic cast-on to cast on 12 stitches, increased to 60 stitches and continued to knit in stockinette for 89 rounds. A short-row heel was then worked, wrapping 8 stitches on each side. More stockinette for 65 rounds and then one by one ribbing for 15 rounds. Finished with a sewn cast-off.

I love the Lorna's Laces and am fairly happy with the way they striped up. I love the base yarn that they use, but I find the way the colours often pool annoying. The next Lorna's Laces sock I make might have to be in feather and fan, if I can be bothered to check gauge in feather and fan and compare it to stockinette gauge, to alter my pattern. Maybe it's just me, but I find a sock whose pattern extends from the leg to the foot much more attractive than one whose pattern ends at the foot.

I've also got some pictures of handspun to share. These will look familiar because they're mates to handspun that I've already posted but....



More handspun


I've finished (tragically) spinning up the Danielle No No Kitty Corriedale, on the left. It's all fairly fine and very dense, so hopefully it'll make something longer-wearing. I was thinking socks but I love the colours so much I might make something else a little more flashy. Who knows?

On the right is some 100% wool, from some sprinkle-dyed sliver purchased at the LYS. Slightly heavier in weight. I have some more to spin up then maybe a warm hat?

And lastly, Eric and I are really splashing out for our last week together. He's taken the week off (sweet, sweet man) and yesterday we went to the Aquarium with a little friend and his mummy. Here he is, touching the sea anemone. He's such a cute kid. The Aquarium lady mentioned how the anemone was hooking on 'cause it thought we were food (talk about biting off more than you can chew!) and Keith started to get worried. When mummy put her hand in, he pulled it away. "No, mommy!" And when I did, he did the same. Awww....


Aquarium trip

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how the pinstripe socks came out. I've always been curious about that colorway, thinking they'd make a good dressy sock for work.
Your handspun is marvelous.

Anonymous said...

I love the socks and the fabulous handspun! Those colors really are great - I'm off to go look at nonokitty's site now...

Stefaneener said...

Nice sock. Great handspun. Cute kid.

Sarah said...

Replying to your comment on my blog...(I can't actually see your pics on this computer...but I'll totally look tomorrow!).

I got the pain in the butt churro as a gift! When I first started spinning. It frustrated me to no end! So I put it aside. And recently came back to it in the hopes of it being better! Nope.

Oh well, can't waste fiber!

And it's funny, since then I've spun amazing, lovely churro! So it isn't the churro, it's that batch.

Rain said...

Teh socks look great.

Your handspun is gorgeous!